I am so excited to get to share my five favorite things this week!
1. I have been on an incredible journey to become healthy. As of this week, I have lost 32 lbs. I am learning what it means to "eat clean" and am quickly becoming shocked at what I have been putting in my body for all these years. I feel so much better! Here is a a poster of some good ways to add protein into your diet naturally! Love it!
2. My second favorite thing this week was last night was Skate Night for our school. It is a once a month fundraiser and is a great at building a sense of community within our area. It was the first one for this year and so it was so cool to see so many of my kindergarteners (and previous students) show up and get on those skates. Many for the first time. I was impressed with this little daredevil as he went all the way around the rink by himself and fall after fall, he got right back up. We talked a little bit about that today in class and how it works in school too. We may struggle sometimes, but we always keep on trying and do our very best!
3. I taught my students how to play Sight Word Bang today (we now have 28 sight words that should be known) and they are absolutely in love with it! They were asking to play again at the end of the day. I love this little group of mine. They are so excited and motivated to learn. It has motivated me this year to discover more and more engaging ways to help them learn. Every day is a groovy day in Mrs. Garrett's class. Two of our favorite Games are Candyland Alphabet Game and our Sight Word Candyland Game . Both of these can be found in my TpT store. The Sight Word Candyland game includes all 105 of our expected sight words for the year, but we only use the ones that I have taught so far.
4. I was so excited at how well my students did with our Concepts of Print Assessment this week. Most of the assessment students are asked to determine the difference between a letter, a word, and a sentence. I was so impressed with how well they did at this activity. I introduced early in the year my Pete the Cat - Is it a Letter, Word or Sentence Sort? I think this has really helped my students with their understanding of these concepts. Plus, we are crazy about Pete!
Another one of our favorite sight word games is Around the World. Again because we love Pete so much. I created this Pete the Cat sight word cards you could use for many different sight word games. There is micro (for craft sticks) ; small cards (that would fit perfect in a pocket chart) and a large size to play Around the World or many other Sight Word games! Each size includes all 105 Sight Words our K kiddos are expected to know! Click the picture below to take a look!
5. MY MOST FAVORITE THING WAS TODAY'S PUBLISHING PARTY DURING OUR WRITERS WORKSHOP TIME. It was our publishing party for our first Unit of Study. The students did such a great job. We circled up inside and outside and then just rotated the outside circle and shared our stories with one another. I was amazed to hear them giving details about their illustrations and their stories. I shouldn't have been surprised - they are ALREADY authors and illustrators after all. I heard lots of things like " I noticed you have lots of details in your pictures", I added a background because my trees aren't just floating in the air" and " I like the way you added your period at the end of your sentence." All my students were very aware of encouraging each other. My favorite was "your picture of your mom is pretty, but boy she is fat" ( she was having a baby) ! LOL
Thanks for letting me share. Check back for more of what's coming up next week sometime this weekend.
Blessings to you,