Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday (Linky)

Thank you so much Deanna for hosting this weekly linky.   I am loving reading about all the great books that everyone is enjoying!  (And getting some new ideas for sure) .


Oh my goodness,  I could not wait to get home today to share about this awesome book that I finished up last week.    I can not say enough good things about it.  It is such a great read.  I was shocked, I laughed, I cried and really felt the struggles through the characters.    I am talking about the book Wonder by R J Palacio

This book is such a gem.   It was written for middle school ages,  but is an emotional and very special story of acceptance of/ and for all people.    Wonder is a book about August,  a fifth grader who is in his first year of public school after being home schooled for many years.   August's face is severely deformed (from birth) but after much discussion and struggle he and his family agree that it is time to try to go to  school.   The chapters of this book are broken down into the voices of different people in the story.    The amazing thing about this book for me is the growth that we see take place in August and the people (adults and children alike) around him.  August just wants to be "normal" and accepted.   One of my favorite quotes from the book is when August is feeling excited and happy for his sister Via after she played the lead in "Our Town",  he said  "I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their life".   I love that!   

 There are so many positive adult role models in this book who are a champion for August.   As a teacher,  it struck me over and over again at the importance of how we treat children with great need.   We must be their champion.    

This book is obviously written for middle school ages (I think it should be a must read for all middle school children in fact. ),  but ALL will enjoy this special story of love and acceptance.     It is just a terrific book about striving to be better to one another and learning from our mistakes.   It is an uplifting read.  

Hurry!  Go get it now!  

Blessings to you, 

Angel  


No comments:

Post a Comment