Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Let's Talk About Books Linky

I am linking up today with Deanna Jump's Book Talk Tuesday!   


I am so  excited to share about one of my favorite books ever.  I love the book 
The Day the Crayons Quit!  
One of my favorite things every is that my sweet sister sent this to me as a gift for my class last year.  I had not read it before but it has quickly become one of my favorites.    I have the sweetest sis! 

Quick synopsis :  This is the story of Duncan who open up his crayon box and just wants to color.  But when he opens up his box of crayons,  he only finds letters -  all pretty much saying the same thing.  He crayons have had enough.   They all quit.  Red is tired.  Beige is bored.  Pink wants more color time.  Black wants to be used for more than just outlining. Orange and Yellow aren't talking because each one believes he is the true color of the sun.   Peach is naked (we had a good laugh at that)!   The result of all this letter writing is that Duncan begins to be sure to use his crayons to create a great masterpiece and shows that they all have a purpose.    I will never look at my crayons the same way again!  

Besides enjoying a great story,  this book has many great purposes for Readers and Writers Workshop.    Readers will enjoy learning the parts of a book,  what authors and illustrators do and being able to tell about the events of the story.   I also use this to compare adventures and experiences with other text,  like My Crayons Talk.     Writers will enjoy using this text to learn about adding wonderful illustrations,  backgrounds,  outlining,  good color choice, etc. as well as all kinds of other text features - spacing,  punctuation,  etc..    This book can also be used to teach story structure, such as major events and problem/ solution.   

Overall,  it is a great book to share with your class from the first week of school to the last!   

I would love to hear about your favorite kids books and how you use them!   Leave a comment below to share your thoughts!  


Blessings to you all,
Angel  








No comments:

Post a Comment